Friday 29 August 2008

Beatbeat Whsiper

This post is predominantly about Beatbeat Whisper, but here are a few other points of interest:

1) Zoom Airlines has gone bust. Last month I flew with this airline to and from New York City. All flights are cancelled, lots of people are stranded. The airline tried to offer cheap trans-Atlantic flights, but with the rising cost of fuel it seems to have failed to do this and break even, and is now unable to pay it's creditors. It is apparently trying to gain new investors, but I think you would have to be pretty crazy or rich to invest in such a crippled business. It's a shame because I thought the airline was pretty good (they gave us free ice cream!). If they did this a month ago, I'd be stranded in New York. That wouldn't be so bad!

2) I watched the Royal Tenenbaums the other day. I love that movie. I love Wes Anderson. Such a great film, and, characteristically of an Anderson film, it has a great soundtrack. Two scenes stick out in particular. The first is Margot getting off the green line bus in slow motion and Nico's These Days is playing. The second is Richie's suicide scene and, hauntingly, Elliott Smith's Needle In The Hay is playing. I've loved this movie since I was about 15 and I don't think I'll ever stop loving it.

3) I had a really weird, vivid dream last night! I was friends with Cat Power and this rapper, who was kind of like Kanye West (for the sake of the story he will be refered to as Kanye, he was nameless in my dream). So me and Chan were invited round Kanye's house because he needed help with his new album. He wanted Chan to master it and me to review it. I found it strange because he sat Chan down in one room and got her to master it, and simultaneously got me to review an unfinished version of the record. He dropped some designer pen worth millions of £ but instead of taking it I gave it to him, he was like "thanks" and gave me a biro to write my review. I only remember the first few seconds of the opening track (to his fictional album) and it had bongo drums and guitar and sounded awesome, so I was thinking, 'what can Chan add to this?'. So I wrote my review then he took us across the other side of his mansion and I had to cross a thin bridge, but there was a big spider on it! I turned around and tried to go back but Chan and Kanye were in the way. And that was it. It was a weird dream because I hate rap music and have never dreamt about a rapper before.

So... anyway...

Beatbeat Whisper
Beatbeat Whisper are a small, DIY style band from Oakland, California. They write sweet, dreamy, folk influenced songs using a variety of instruments. I first heard this band a couple of months ago when I downloaded their 2006 self titled debut album. I was drawn to the track Three Long Afternoons. Ayla has a really pretty voice, and I love when Davyd joins in with her singing. The guitar is sparse, and the song gives off a sense of nostalgia. It is my favourite of BbW's songs, and you can hear it on their myspace. They released an album this year titled Wonder Continental. They have the cd for sale on their myspace, make sure you buy a copy! I ordered mine the other day and am waiting for it to arrive. It is limited to 150 copies and handmade and lovingly stitched together by the band. I love things like this. Why would you want to buy a shrink wrapped CD from HMV when you can buy a gem like this? I really enjoy the new cd and would love to see this band get some success. They have recorded a Daytrotter Session which is pretty cool, and hopefully will get them a bit of exposure. A few months ago the band posted a blog stating it is in their plans to come to Europe, I have emailed them about this and hopefully it will happen soon. In the mean time, make sure you listen to Three Long Afternoons and Lulu on their myspace, and buy the limited edition Wonder Continental, only 70 copies left... Send me an email if you want to hear any other songs, as long as you promise to buy Wonder Continental.


No comments: