Sunday 7 September 2008

Long songs with lots of voltas!


Oh man, how good is Jenny Lewis's new album gonna be? I've listened to all the 30 second previews from everywhere possible, all the live versions available... it's just going to be so good. I've always had high hopes for this album, and I think it will actually deliver... to the MAX!

Here is a timeline of my thoughts regarding Jenny Lewis's second album:

2006: Rabbit Fur Coat is released and is easily one of my favourite records, anticipation for record 2 begins.

2007: Jenny releases Under The Blacklight with Rilo Kiley. I was very disappointed because I held such high hopes. The album has grown on me a bit but still is my least favourite RK record.

2008: A complex year with a range of thoughts regarding the record. First, I hear she's knocked off the Watson Twins from 'Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins' and is now just 'Jenny Lewis', albeit with accompaniment from the deeeep voiced Johnathan Rice. Disapointment ensues. Then, it is announced she's not releasing record #2 on Team Love, but on Warner Bros. No suprise, but further disappointment ensues. After disappointment, I remember how awesome Jenny Lewis is and how great the tracks I've heard so far are, and disappointment is erased. Excitement begins to take hold after she released that preview video with the xylophone man. The video gave a number to call. I called it and you got to hear Jenny singing the title track, Acid Tongue, over the phone. The novelty was unbelievably charming and extreme excitement begins to become the dominant feeling in regards to the album. Then, Jenny announces a London show. Excitement is reaching blood vessel bursting heights. Jenny & co release some home filmed promo videos. Then, a few days ago a promo video lets us hear The Next Messiah in it's full glory... all 9 amazing minutes of it. I can't wait for this record. 'WHY WON'T IT LEAK RIGHT NOW' is the overwhelming thought.

Point 2: Skeletal Lamping is so ridiculously genuis. Kevin Barnes is a genius. GENIUS! The above picture is proof of this band's genius. They've captioned it "Kevin the Centaur"

The album is just so complex, and is easily my favourite record this year (so far, although the furthest it can move from #1 is tied #1 (probably with Jenny)). I just love the way Kevin's mind works, the way he says things... it's just so clever. The album is completely bizarre and there are so many voltas within each song, it's just so much to take in.

Take the song Wicked Wisdom. The song has several changes and is actually more like 5 mini songs all tied together. It's so gloriusly bizarre, when I hear it I just admire Kevin and think 'how did anyone think of this!?'. Wicked Wisdom has so much going on, Kevin's vocals are superb, the instrumentation is perfect. Because the record is not officially out for a few more weeks, there are no official lyrics, but these seem to be pretty spot on, so here is a taster of some of Kevin's crazy lyrics:

"All I care to hear/all them standing gray insects inside the house machines/ knowing what's coming next /something temporary reference for the other side /all I care to hear/ elitist's commentary about some fated press limited edition/ I hear the toy ball bouncing on Jihad would do their elegant conceit/ all I care to hear/ you have such power to destroy/ no time to process that now/ so iconic in my mind. "

The melodies are crazy.

Point 3: So this blog has been about how much I love Kevin and Jenny's works. Well yesterday when staring at my calendar I released I'm seeing these 2 bands consecutively! In the same venue! In the space of 2 days! Not only that, but I'm also seeing Tilly and the Wall the same day as Jenny but earlier and at an instore. 3 of my favourite bands in 2 days. I don't think I could have asked for anything better (realistically). It's going to be spectacular.

Oh yeah, I also saw the Australian band Houltte the other day, they were very good. I took some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thenidefyyoustars/sets/72157607128434731/

No comments: