Monday 8 September 2008

Concert photography

I like having a go at concert photography. I don't know much about photography except what I've picked up along the way, so it's very much trial and error. I spent last summer saving for my new camera after my old one broke. So I've been taking it along to gigs ever since and testing out different things. I don't think I'm very good; concert photography is hard- fast moving subjects, low light and no flash, but I think I'm improving. I don't see the point in going to bed and not sleeping so I'm writing this blog instead. Here is my progression:


This show was the first time I tried proper concert photography with my DSLR. I didn't figure out I needed to bump the ISO up quite a bit to stop the blur.


My second attempt. I probably would have gotten better photos if I stood up... but everyone was sitting on the floor, and I'd rather watch the show and not block anyone else's view.

Attempt #3. It was hard in one sense because the lighting was always either blue-y green or red, and Nicole doesn't stand still for long. On the other hand it was quite good because everyone else (bar about 5 people) were standing at the back sipping their beers and not getting involved, even when Nicole said it was 'lonely' up there, and it would be good for people to come down, they still stood back. After the show she thanked me for standing up front. Yeaaaah! She's going to be on Jools Holland soon, watch out for her.

The lighting was quite good here so it wasn't too hard. Although, due to the fact both the audience and Kimya were seated, there weren't many different shots I could get. "there's one with Kimya sitting with her eyes closed, and another, and another". It was a great show though.

Why is it Chris's audiences love to sit on the floor? I stood up against the wall, but couldn't move around because everyone was on the floor. I guess he has that effect on people. I'm seeing him again so maybe we'll stand up next time.... though probably not.

This was the first show with my new lens, and also in great light. I love instores, I'm glad I'll be living 10 minutes away from this shop, meaning I'll get to see a few bands freeeee every month. It was fun shooting with my new lens, some photos came out good, others failed epicly. I like the bokeh this lens gives, but it's really easy to focus on the wrong thing leaving the intended subject a blur!

I have a ton of shows lined up which I am extremely excited for. The next one is Two Gallants this Friday. I'll take my camera along and have a go and try and get a good picture or two.

My throat hurts.

END.


No comments: