Saturday 23 August 2008

Not having back/rib ache

I have back/rib ache. I love NOT having back/rib ache.

I love lists so here are my 5 favourite, and 5 least favourite things about Britain.

BEST:
1) History: We have such a good history. It's interesting.
2) Breakfast: Continental breakfasts FAIL, English breakfasts WIN.
3) London: London is good.
4) The Pound: If we ever change to the Euro I will migrate abroad.
5) Roast Dinners: Yummy AND nutritious.

WORST
1) Music scene: I hate 98% of current British bands. All the bands I hate most (The Hoosiers, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Kate Nash... I could go on forever but I'll stop now) are all British. The lyrics are always horrendus and they are musically boring, and sounding similar. Even the vocals are poor. Theres nothing original going on and it's a shame. The only current bands from Britain which I enjoy are Patrick Wolf, Emmy the Great, Slow Club and Kid Harpoon. That's it. Of course there are lots of British bands that I'm indifferent about, but I think I hate (almost) every British band I have heard on the tv or the radio. The radio is unlistenable to me, I only ever listen when it is inflicted on me against my will.
2) The NME and gossip magazines eg. Heat, Hello etc etc: Ok, firstly the NME. I hate it. It's just a hype fest, creating buzz bands for the masses. It claims to be 'indie' but only covers the same (mostly major label) bands. The true 'indie' spirit of the NME is apparent at the NME awards, pepered with big corporate sponsors- HMV, Shockwaves, Carling... hmm real independent. If it does by chance happen to cotton on to a decent band it is usually months (or years!) late. Furthermore, in their web review of Emily Haines's Knives Don't Have Your Back, they called the emotions on display "hollow" and gave it 5/10. Hadouken scored 8/10 for their album. It says it all really. I also hate gossip magazines. What are they good for? Feeding the celebrity obsessed people and promoting shallow interests. Read a book!
3) Unsavoury folk who loiter around and are rude: I hate them. Theres so many around where I live. One shouted at my 79 year old nan through his car window for being slow. Some people are so disgraceful, it actually makes me quite angry.

That's all I can think of right now.

No comments: